BEE POLLEN: Given the name, the “only complete food,” bee pollen is truly a superfood with 250 nutrient-dense biologically active substances including carbohydrates, essential fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, antioxidants and contains an adequate proportion of each of the nine essential amino acids (enzymes) necessary in the human diet, making bee pollen a complete protein! Studies have linked bee pollen to health benefits such as:
- Strengthening immune system; can stimulate and enhance immune response
- Combats fatigue and depression due to the high levels of B vitamins and Omega 3 fatty acids for brain function, the electrolyte minerals (magnesium, potassium and sodium) for nerve function, zinc and iodine increases strength and endurance
- Detoxifies the liver
- Reducing inflammation; the antioxidants protect fats from oxidizing, resulting a lower risk of heart disease
- Lowers production of the pro-inflammatory Omega 6, making it good for raising good cholesterol
- Improves digestion with enzymes made from amino acids
- Boosts healing process of damaged skin from wounds; a study showed that applying a balm containing bee pollen onto a burn accelerated healing over standard medicines
- Relieves menopausal symptoms
Bee pollen comes in dried granules and capsules. Reputable companies are YS Eco Bee Farms and Frontier. Start out slowly and increase to recommended dosage. For allergy relief, buy from a local source to enhance the antiallergenic properties. Always ask your doctor for advice.
GARLIC: It has been said that the ancient Greek physician Hippocrates, often called the father of Western medicine, would prescribe garlic to treat a variety of medical conditions. The biological effects of the sulfur-containing compound, Allicin, makes garlic a killing machine:
- Effectively killing: BACTERIA, used as an antibiotic; VIRUS, circulating in the lymphatic system, reducing the symptoms of a cold and influenza drastically by up to 70%. Also reducing ear trouble and sinusitis, by taking the juice of a crushed garlic, adding olive oil and placing 3 drops into the ear; PARASITES, applied as a poultice, will destroy ringworm; CANDIDA fungus responsible for yeast infections and mold!
- Clears up congestion in the spleen, pancreas, stomach, kidney and lung pathways
- Anti-aging antioxidants that protect against cell damage, reducing the risk of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia
- Boosts metabolism as a natural thermogenic food, causing our body to produce heat; and producing heat takes energy, so the body burns off calories
- Protects from oxidation and free radicals, normalizing blood pressure and cholesterol
- Helps stabilize blood sugar levels
- Promotes the growth of healthy intestinal bacteria
- Helps eliminate heavy metal toxins from the body and protect against organ damage. A four-week study in employees of a car battery plant (excessive exposure to lead) found that garlic reduced lead levels in the blood by 19%. It also reduced many clinical signs of toxicity, including headaches and blood pressure
Garlic’s medicinal properties, Allicin, tends to lose its power when cooked. It is imperative to consume garlic raw or semi-cooked after its been chopped or crushed, or chew to derive any of its benefits. Kyolic brand garlic is dried in a dehydrator (not a hot oven), retaining the beneficial health compounds and integrity that are otherwise destroyed by high heat. NOT recommended during pregnancy or lactation. NOT recommended when hot flashes are present or excessively warm. Talk to your doctor about ingesting raw garlic for medicinal
MUSHROOMS: Research reveals that mushrooms are the highest known single source of two powerful antioxidants, ergothioneine and glutathione. With other important nutrients, the benefits of mushrooms are huge:
- Heart disease and cancer protection from damaging free-radicals that can cause these conditions
- Aging. Antioxidants protect from neurodegenerative diseases of the brain
- Boosts the immune system
- A great food source for a vegan dieter that has difficulty obtaining minerals such as selenium, potassium, copper, iron and phosphorus, which are available in mushrooms
- Low in calories and a great source of fiber and protein, making mushrooms a great weight-loss food
The antioxidants in mushrooms are unaffected by cooking (heat). Mushrooms are safe to consume raw and can also be purchased as dehydrated (dried) to be re-hydrated in soups and other recipes, as supplements in capsules/tablets and tincture (liquid). Research has proved the amount of ergothioneine and glutathione in mushrooms vary by species, with the porcini species containing the highest of these compounds among the 13 species tested.
Don’t start a diet that won’t last, rather focus on a lifestyle change that will last forever!
Gerri Gatto, The nofad Weight Loss Coach
Send inquiries to: MoreThanJustaDiet@gmail.com